Service Care Solutions are looking for a Paralegal to work within the Devon & Cornwall Police on a 3-month contract.
The principal responsibility of the Paralegal is to investigate and handle a caseload of files against, and on behalf of, the Chief Constables and Offices of the Police and Crime Commissioners of both Forces, and to provide general advice as required by the organisations.
Paralegals report to Legal Advisors within the Legal Services Department.
- Liaise with, advise, and influence the decision making of staff at all levels of the Forces and OPCC, including the Chief Constable, members of the Executive, Police and Crime Commissioner and the Head of Alliance Audit, Insurance and Strategic Risk Management.
- Research and prepare legally sound advice on a wide range of different legal issues, as required by the organisation and within stipulated timeframes, including as part of the ‘duty advice scheme' and within ongoing policing operations, overseen by a Legal Advisor
- Draft legally sound documentation, including court applications, written advice memos on a range of legal subjects and designated authorities, overseen by a Legal Advisor.
- Assist Legal Advisors and Senior Legal Advisors in handling legal proceedings in Courts and Tribunals.
This includes investigating claims, collating documents, conducting research, instructing Counsel, taking statements, assisting with the preparation of Court papers including compiling bundles, analysing legal costs, drafting points of dispute and pursuing debt recovery.
- Make non-contentious applications at a range of different courts and attend court on straight forward matters, including the Magistrates' Courts, County Courts and Coroner's Courts.
- Research and interrogate Force systems such as Centurion, Niche and Unifi to ascertain information and collate evidence.
- Assist in the preparation and delivery of training on relevant legal issues within the Forces.
- Consider appropriate safeguarding referrals in respect of individuals which the role holder meets.
- Negotiate and formalise terms of settlement in contentious matters/pre-action civil matters.
- Redact sensitive information from bundles and disclosure.
- Ensure that all workflows and departmental spreadsheets are kept up to date.
- Request the payment of invoices for legal costs, damages, and court fees.
- Provide training and ongoing support through the department buddy system when new Paralegals join.
- In conjunction with the Legal Advisors, prepare and present to the wider internal team monthly legal updates.
- Work as part of a team to deliver departmental projects.
- Draft articles for the Legal Services newsletter and blog.
- Experience and knowledge of relevant legal principles, legislation, case law, and legal systems.
- Experience and knowledge of litigation and contested matters generally.
- Demonstrable ability to handle a large and diverse workload.
- Demonstrable ability to prioritise workload in terms of urgency and importance.
- Strong communication skills, written and verbal, with the ability to liaise and influence at all levels, internal and external.
- Research and investigative skills with high attention to detail.
- Ability to think critically and adapt to changing circumstances in a fast-paced environment.
- IT literate with the ability to navigate specialist databases and systems.
If you are interested in this role or want further discussion, please contact Lewis O'Donnell either via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or tel: 01772208962.
- Start: ASAP
- Duration: 3 Months
- Rate: £15.50 - £16.20 per hour
- Location: Exeter, England
- Type: Contract
- Industry: Public_Sector
- Recruiter: Service Care Solutions Ltd
- Contact: Lewis O'Donnell
- Tel: 01772 208 962
- Fax: 01772 471473
- Email: to view click here
- Posted: 2023-09-07 13:09:14 -
- View all Jobs from Service Care Solutions Ltd
More Jobs from Service Care Solutions Ltd
- CAMHS Crisis Nurse
- Building Surveyor
- Estates Surveyor
- Senior Estates Surveyor
- Estates Surveyor
- Programme Manager
- Maintenance Surveyor
- Occupational Health Physician
- Probation officer
- Group Finance Manager
- Financial Services Team Leader
- General Practitioner
- Community Care Officer
- Joiner / Multi Trader - Hackney
- Multi Plasterer - Hackney
- Support worker
- Family Support Worker
- Business Support officer
- Social worker
- Senior Social Worker