Laboratory Specialist Practitioner
Laboratory Specialist Practitioner – 9months FTC
12-hour shifts; 8am and 8pm starts, 3 days on, 3 days off; 7-day working
Our client, a leading provider of life science solutions is now looking for a Laboratory Specialist Practitioner to support their work with Covid-19 testing and clinical trials for a fixed term contract that could well be extended further on a rolling basis.
The successful candidate will be an experienced scientist with well-developed specialist knowledge & skills in molecular/virology fields.
They will be required to work unsupervised (including on shift or on-call systems where appropriate and necessary), either as part of a team or independently, receiving, analysing and reporting specimens for COVID-19 testing.
The Laboratory Specialist Practitioner will be required to perform a complex range of tests using dedicated scientific equipment on all samples received.
They will be required to interpret, and report results in accordance with agreed service protocols.
They will also be required to ensure their appropriate continual professional development and train and supervise less experienced staff as directed by their line manager.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Be aware of advances in COVID-19 testing and related topics, and recommend the use of new methods and techniques as appropriate
- Undertake any training courses which may be considered appropriate and to participate in CPD programmes
- Achieve and maintain a well-developed specialist knowledge base and supporting skills appropriate to the service and the working practices employed within the laboratory
- Support the development and training of less experienced or junior staff under instruction of laboratory senior staff
- Develop and maintain highly developed physical skills sufficient to support the accurate and precise use of scientific equipment and processes
- Implement policies and procedures, including all Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Be responsible for maintaining stock control on all materials used, using appropriate logging systems to record stock movements and bringing to the attention of senior staff critical shortages at the earliest opportunity
- Be responsible for the day to day supervision of less experienced or junior staff, including trainees and less experienced scientists, Associate Practitioners and Support Workers.
- Contribute to the laboratory information system (LIMS) and patient record by the generation and input of laboratory data, whether by direct interface or manual means
- Undertake regular surveys and audits in support of the Quality Management System in place, with a view to continual improvements of the service
- Monitor turnaround times (TAT’s) for their section/service, ensuring that quoted TAT’s are achieved or surpassed, and communicating failures to more senior laboratory staff
- Undertake research & development appropriate to the service and the continual improvement of such, considering alternative techniques, testing new equipment and searching for improvements in quality, speed and cost of service provision on a continual basis.
- Able to handle all specimens, reagents, equipment and other materials in a manner consistent with all health & safety rules and regulations, and in accordance with all SOP’s, in order to ensure a safe working environment for self and others
Essential skills and qualifications:
- BSc in Biomedical Science or equivalent
- IBMS Specialist portfolio, equivalent post graduate diploma or equivalent in depth experience in molecular/virology fields
- Experience of a busy Pathology laboratory
- Professional calm and efficient manner
- Used to working in a busy environment
- Attention to detail
- Able to apply and sustain mental effort required to carry out detailed work requiring high levels of concentration, multi-tasking and supporting other team members.
- Excellent timekeeping and a flexible approach to work.
Able to participate with a rotating shift pattern in a 24/7 environment
- HCPC Registration as a Biomedical Scientist
This job description is not exhaustive and will be subject to periodic review in association with the post-holder.
* For a full Job Spec please call Vanessa on 0203 750 0575 Ext 302.
Insignia Recruit and our clients are equal opportunities employers, value diversity and are strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and all applicants for employment.
Equal opportunities are the only acceptable way to conduct business and we believe that the more inclusive our environments are, the better our work will be.
- Rate: Market related
- Location: Bracknell
- Type: Permanent
- Industry: Science
- Recruiter: Elite Executive Search & Selection Ltd
- Contact: Vanessa Barnes
- Tel: 0203 750 0575
- Email: to view click here
- Reference: VB0280
- Posted: 2021-07-21 11:59:53 -
- View all Jobs from Elite Executive Search & Selection Ltd
More Jobs from Elite Executive Search & Selection Ltd
- HR Coordinator
- Laboratory Technician - Newcastle
- Laboratory Technician - Leeds
- Laboratory Technician - Manchester Airport
- Senior Biomedical Scientist
- Senior Scientific Officer
- Quality Manager FTC 18 Months
- Business Engagement Manager
- Java Developer
- Informatics Automation Developer
- Testing Lead
- Senior Scientist
- Deputy Lead Scientist
- HR Business Partner- Recruitment and Engagement
- Associate Practitioner
- Marketing Assistant
- Training Officer
- Lead Scientist
- Laboratory Operations Manager
- Section Manager